Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My favorite time of day

The favorite part of my day:
Every day my middle school classes start with a journal entry. Today’s journal was “What is your favorite time of the day”. When I started thinking about this topic, I decided it would be a GREAT Blog entry.

The favorite time of my day is when we turn to Ryleigh and say “Bedtime lets go say our prayers.” Yes, this sentence is normally met with frustration, and whining all the way to the bedroom (our bedroom- because that is where she is still falling asleep).

However, by the time we are at the bed the whining has subsided. Bedtime is a ritual we have done since day one. It may be the only one we adhere to. But to us, both JB and I, it is one of the most important.

We all stop what we are doing and go to the bedroom and sit on the bed. Ryleigh takes her passie out of her mouth, puts her bear down and bows her head and folds her hands. We then recite Now I lay me down to sleep. This is something we have done since the day we came home from the hospital. Even before Ryleigh knew what bedtime was, her day always ended with Now I lay me down to sleep.

Ryleigh will try to rebel against any and everything but her prayer time. It is also the only time of the day that my bright eyed, strong willed (where does that come from), red
headed (with a temper to go along with it) beautiful baby(to me she still is my baby) girl allows me to hold and cuddle with her. We say our prayer, and automatically gives JB and I a kiss. Then another, and most of the time one more. All with a smile on her face. Then its lights out and I have started lying back down with her until she goes to sleep. Partly because I LOVE to cuddle with her, partly because she wants someone to lay with her due to a small part of separation anxiety. Whatever the reason, all of this summed up to be my favorite part of the day.

3 comments:

Nicole Roberts said...

Such sweet moments. We have said prayers with Walker since almost the beginning...it's such a special time and so important to instill while they are young. :)

The Partins said...

I LOVE that time too... Jamie isn't much of a cuddler now that she can crawl and get around, but at night & nap time, she will just lay there and snuggle up with me. I love it. Also I bring Jamie in bed with us in the early morning and I love that snuggle time. THere is nothing better!

Holly said...

So sweet - night time is my favorite time of day, too. It's the only time Gehrig will sit still long enough to cuddle with me. Those prayers are so important, too. Keep it up - she'll always remember it :)