Friday, May 9, 2008

Hospitals are not fun!

WOW ! Who knew that me starting a blog would make my life so exciting and eventful – almost so much so I want to cancel it if this keeps happening!

We started the weekend last week with Prom and a sick baby! L Ryleigh got to go visit Patricia and Robert for a few hours and we were hoping she would come home better, no such luck! We got home Sat night with a 103.8 fever. Having grown up with Cody having his feveral seizers I knew what the doctor was going to say to try so we did that before calling. After she slept through the night we thought we were out of the water. … That’s what we get for thinking!

She didn’t have a wet diaper that morning – and it’s normally so wet you can barely lift her. So we called the doctor, they said take her to Macon Ped Emergency Care just for fluids. We did that, what a horrible experience – no one should have to go through. It took 1 ½ hours, six sticks, and in the end 6 nurses to get an IV in the poor child. JB and I told the first set of nurses to leave and go get some ped nurses from the Children’s Hospital who would deal better with a little one. THANK GOD FOR THOSE NURSES. Yes they too had a hard time because Ryleigh was dehydrated but they were so much gentler. After having such a hard time getting the IV we were determined to keep it in. Ryleigh on the other hand was just as determined to get this foreign object out of her. When I had her tricked by keeping both hands occupied she resorted to trying to tear it out with her mouth. Good news is she was not successful! Ryleigh’s on call doctor ended up coming by after sending a resident down from the Children’s Hospital. She gave us the option to admit her overnight to continue fluids, or if we could get her to drink she could go home but may be back. We chose to stay the night to hopefully shorten the unconfortableness. The people in the Children’s Hospital were excellent. Her nurses and doctors were the best we could ask for.

I ended up getting sick and having to go to the ER for fluids Sunday night after throwing up 11 times in 4-5 hours. Poor momma was going from ER to Children’s Hospital to ER and back. JB was staying with Ryleigh. I checked my self out of the ER at 7 because I knew Dr. Molly (Ryleigh’s regular ped) would be by shortly and was not missing that trip. We got good news from her; she removed the fluids (not the IV) and let Ryleigh play in the playroom and to see if she could drink. Around 9 am JB and momma decided that I was getting worse and just sleeping so I needed to go home, I did not like leaving Ryleigh but knew I wasn’t helping anything and keeping their attention not on her at all times. Momma drove me home and Pat went to meet JB at the hospital to stay with them. Ryleigh ate a grill cheese and some juice and they let her go home Monday around 4pm. We had a follow up appt on Thurs but ended up back at the doctor on Wed just because Ryleigh didn’t seem to be getting better. Good news was, Viral infection gone, bad news we now have bronchitis and an ear infection but both can be treated with antibiotics. I went back to school Thursday per the doctor I had to stay out until then. I had a sinus infection and now have antibiotics for that. My mom was here Thurs and Fri. Ryleigh just laid around all day today. We had her congestion meds changed again due to them not working. She is also running a fever again, so we may be back at doctor in the morning. Which by the way Dr. Molly now has Sat hours…. YEA MOLLY!!!!


Daddy and me in the chair in my room
Here you can see her IV, and the protective cover thingie (technical term)
Ryleighs hospital bed, it kinda cute!






1 comment:

The Brooks Family said...

awwww, poor baby! I am so sorry she's sick. And sorry you were sick too. When it rains it pours doesn't it?
Hope you are all feeling much better!